Wall Street Journal Fourth time's a charm? The paper reports "deficit hawks" Alan Simpson and Erskine Bowles plan to offer up a deficit fix to Washington sometime later today. According to the duo, this new plan "would reduce the federal budget deficit by $2.4 trillion over 10 years" primarily through reductions to Medicare and Medicaid, curbing or axing certain tax breaks, lowering caps on discretionary spending and adjusting how cost-of-living increases are calculated for Social Security
Simpson and Bowles Offer Deficit Fix (Again); Walter's SEC Agenda; Will Wall Street Ever Get More than a Symbolic Reprimand?
- Full access to banking's most comprehensive daily report
- Daily, weekly, and topic-based newsletters and alerts
- Award-winning analysis and insight, focused on bankers' key concerns
- Bimonthly industry research reports (including archive)
- Morning Scan Plus e‑newsletter