More than 700 community banks failed a stress test performed by the New York data company Trepp, based on the proposed Basel III guidelines. Even if they wanted to do something about this problem, many would have a hard time raising capital in the private markets now.
One Economic Hiccup, And These Small Banks Are in Trouble
- Full access to banking's most comprehensive daily report
- Daily, weekly, and topic-based newsletters and alerts
- Award-winning analysis and insight, focused on bankers' key concerns
- Bimonthly industry research reports (including archive)
- Morning Scan Plus e‑newsletter
- Full access to 2016: The Candidates, the Issues