At least 17 states are considering bills to create some form of state-owned bank. Backers say such a bank would partner with community banks and strengthening lending. Opponents believe forming the bank would be costly and redundant with what banks already offer.
More Lawmakers Considering State-Owned Banks
- Full access to banking's most comprehensive daily report
- Daily, weekly, and topic-based newsletters and alerts
- Award-winning analysis and insight, focused on bankers' key concerns
- Bimonthly industry research reports (including archive)
- Morning Scan Plus e‑newsletter
- Full access to 2016: The Candidates, the Issues