For the first time since the financial crisis of 2008, consumers across the country are prioritizing their mortgages ahead of their credit card payments, according to TransUnion. The credit bureau's annual Payment Hierarchy Study also found that since at least 2003, consumers have been paying their auto loans ahead of their mortgages and credit cards "by a wide margin."
Return to Normal as Consumers Pay Mortgages Before Credit Cards
- Full access to banking's most comprehensive daily report
- Daily, weekly, and topic-based newsletters and alerts
- Award-winning analysis and insight, focused on bankers' key concerns
- Bimonthly industry research reports (including archive)
- Morning Scan Plus e‑newsletter
- Full access to 2016: The Candidates, the Issues