Two assumptions have underpinned the conversation: one, that underbanked consumers would be drastically better off if they were served by federally insured financial institutions; and two, that such for-profit financial institutions can make money by serving them.
When Banks Aren't Really What Underserved Consumers Need
- Full access to banking's most comprehensive daily report
- Daily, weekly, and topic-based newsletters and alerts
- Award-winning analysis and insight, focused on bankers' key concerns
- Bimonthly industry research reports (including archive)
- Morning Scan Plus e‑newsletter
This feature displays payments industry news and analysis from American Banker sibling brand PaymentsSource. Registration is required; for more information contact customer service.