Credit Unions In Their Communities
* Woodstone Credit Union, Federal Way, Wash., has teamed up with area high schools to train students to become tellers and to operate their own credit union in school branches.
* In Redwood City, Calif., The Family Service Agency of San Mateo County awarded the Ways to Work Lending Partners of the Year to San Mateo CU for outstanding contributions.
* Financial Service Centers Cooperative, Inc., San Dimas, Calif., was awarded 7 Fraud Buster Awards by the FSCC Operations Advisory Committee.
* Local Government FCU, Raleigh, N.C., contributed $25,000 to the Family House for critical care patients and their families.
* The Credit Union Association of New Mexico, Albuquerque, N.M., worked with students at the Career Enrichment Center to help improve their financial eduction.
Security Service FCU, San Antonio, Texas, received Platinum recognition from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for raising more than $33,000 at the Light the Night Walk event.
The Armed Forces Financial Network in partnership with Pentagon FCU donated $3,000 to the Fisher House at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington. In additional news AFFN and First Light FCU donated $1,000 to the Fisher House at William Beaumont Army Medical Center in El Paso,Texas, and AFF and USA Federal Credit Union donated $1,000 to the Fisher House at Naval Medical Center in San Diego.
Pinellas FCU, Largo, Fla., donated $10,263 to the American Red Cross Hurricane Relief Fund.
Charter Oak FCU, Groton, Conn., hosted a Japanese banker and discussed the credit union differences from other financial institutions.
Mon-Oc Federal Credit Union, Toms River, N.J., celebrated Director Emerita Erma Bennet's 100th birthday at a special reception.
Eastern Financial Florida CU, Miramar, Fla., treated disadvantaged foster children to a concert and night out.
America's Christian CU, Glendora, Calif., hosted 10 exchange students from Central America through a partnership with California Polytechnic University.
United Community CU, Houston, Texas, donated computer systems to Woodland Acres Elementary School.
Rocky Mountain CU, Helena, Mont., donated $1,768 to the American Red Cross Hurricane Fund.
Hopewell FCU, Heath, Ohio, had a celebratory breakfast for its sales and service team who opened more than 103 Christmas accounts.
Langley FCU, Newport News, Va., awarded 20 $250 grants for schools to teach financial literacy.
Memphis Area Teachers' CU awarded Middle School teacher Janice Brown a $500 grant to purchase dictionaries and thesauruses for her classroom.
New Jersey FCU, Totowa, N.J., presented a $2,500 check to the the National Credit Union Foundation's National Disaster Fund for Hurricane Relief Efforts.
America First CU, La Habra, Calif., developed a program to teach financial literacy to local high school students.
Pen Air FCU, Pensacola, Fla., donated more than $6,500 to the American Red Cross Hurricane Relief Fund.
The Palm Beach Chapter of the Florida Credit Union League held its 15th annual golf tournament and raised more than $10,000 for the Make-a--Wish Foundation.