Credit Unions In Their Communities
* US Federal Credit Union, Burnsville, Minn., received 10 awards for excellence in marketing from CUNA and CUES.
* First Financial of Maryland FCU, Lutherville, Md., received a meritorious service award from the Teachers Association of Baltimore County.
* The Maine Credit Union League, Westbrook, attended a fundraising breakfast and roundtable discussion with Gov. John Baldacci.
* In Boston, the U.S. Small Business Administration has approved Merrimack Valley FCU as a participating lender.
* In Albuquerque, a group of credit union professionals from Mexico visited credit unions here as part of an international partnership with the Credit Union Association of New Mexico.
* Orange County Teachers FCU, Santa Ana, Calif., donated $250,000 to help fund "Biz Kids," a PBS television series about money and business.
* SELCO Community Credit Union, Eugene, Ore., donated video recording equipment to Bertha Holt Elementary School.
In Austin, Texas, The United Heritage CU Scholarship Committee presented the $2,500 Leroy Hiller Memorial Scholarship to Halei Young.
In San Diego, Cabrillo CU and its partners, Carlsbad City CU and Sharp CU raised more than $1,000 to benefit San Diego's Children's Hospital.
Security Service FCU, San Antonio, Texas, awarded fifteen $500 scholarships to top Texas and Colorado high school seniors.
Mon-Oc Federal Credit Union, Toms River, N.J., was recognized by the New Jersey Credit Union League for 70 years of service.
In celebration of National Credit Union Youth Week, Towpath Credit Union, Akron, Ohio, hosted youth activities and a Millionaire-for-a Day contest.
St. Louis Community CU, Missouri, held a free Retirement Planning Solutions seminar. More than 60 people attended.
Bay Area Credit Union, Oregon, Ohio, brought flowers and potted plants to a local retirement facility to help spruce up the home.
In Phoenix, the Arizona Credit Union System, in conjunction with the World Council of Credit Unions, took a group of credit union representatives to Mexico to visit Caja Libertad.
First City Credit Union, Los Angeles, donated $2,000 to Devil Pups, Inc., a youth citizenship program held each year at Camp Pendleton in San Diego County.
Taleris CU, Cleveland, Ohio, sponsored the Annual Taleris Charity Bowling Event to raise funds for The Tommy D'Amico Fund. The funds help pay medical bills for Tommy D'Amico, who was born with cerebral palsy.
In Clearwater, Fla., hundreds of motorcycle enthusiasts participated in the Credit Union Cruise for Kids Motorcycle Poker Run, which raised $50,000 for All Children's Hospital.
The Central Massachusetts Chapter of the Massachusetts Credit Union League, Fitchburg, awarded Sarah Decato, Kevin McMurray, Daniel Strader and Matthew Dailey $1,000 scholarships.
Missouri Credit Union Association CEO Rosie Holub represented credit unions at a ceremony where Gov. Matt Blunt' proclaimed May as Youth Economic and Personal Financial Literacy Month.
A birthday theme was part of the festivities at the Scranton, Penn. branch of the Tobyhanna Army Depot Federal Credit Union's celebration of the 5th Annual National Credit Union Youth Week.