Relief Funds Created
Credit unions and leagues around the nation wasted no time in starting relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina. Among the efforts:
* The National Credit Union Foundation (NCUF) has activated the National Disaster Relief Fund for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. CUNA Mutual has already donated $150,000 to the fund; CUNA has made an initial donation of $10,000. Credit unions, individuals or other organizations wishing to contribute can do so online by credit card, by check or wire transfer. A donation form can be found on the web site, www.ncuf.coop. For info: Kris Hoffman at 800-356-9655, ext. 4397, or by e-mail at khoffman
* Numerous state foundations have created funds. Check with your respective foundation on how to make donations.
* The Florida League has set up an account to receive funds through the Florida Credit Union Foundation. Send your contributions to: Florida Credit Union Foundation, Attention: Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund, P.O. Box 3108, Tallahassee, FL 32315-3108. Make sure your share draft identifies that the funds are for the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund. You may also make a contribution utilizing your Southeast Corporate account by calling Brandi McGahee at 800-342-1266, ext. 1114.
* Southeast Corporate in Tallahassee has created a task force that is meeting daily to solve member CUs short-term business needs with initial emphasis on communicating with each branch and damage assessment.
* Eastern Financial Florida Credit Union staff and members are raising funds for the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Throughout September 670 employees in South Florida and Tampa can wear jeans to work one day a week, in exchange for making a monetary donation. Members can make a donation to the Red Cross Disaster Relief fund by visiting any of the CU's 22 branches or calling the Service Center and electronically transferring funds from one of their accounts. Eastern Financial will match up to $25,000 of member and employee donations.
* Among the other CUs raising money for the American Red Cross and Salvation Army are Members Cooperative Credit Union in Duluth, Minn., Virginia CU in Richmond and Aerospace Community CU in St. Louis.
* A Katrina Disaster Relief Fund is being administered by the Pennsylvania Credit Union Foundation. Send donations to: Pennsylvania Credit Union Foundation, c/o Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief Fund, P.O. Box 60007, Harrisburg, PA 17106-0007.
* Founders FCU in South Carolina has donated $10,000 to the Southeast Louisiana Chapter of the American Red Cross. Founders Federal Credit Union CEO Bruce Brumfield is a native of Bogalusa, La.
* Texas credit unions may send donations to the Texas Credit Union Foundation, 4455 LBJ Freeway, Suite 916, Farmers Branch, Texas 75244. Be sure to designate the donation to the Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief Fund. For info: (469) 385-6447 or (800) 442-5762, Ext. 6447.
* East Texas Professional Credit Union was working with local authorities to collect supplies for evacuees. Blankets, bedding, towels, toiletry items and children's entertainment items were requested. For info: (903) 323-0230 or (800) 256-5009.
* To donate goods, supplies, food or to make general cash donations, contact the Red Cross or other certified organizations. For general donations, visit www.networkforgood.org or www.redcross.org.