Credit Unions In Their Communities
* Gwinnett FCU, Lawrenceville, Ga., Jamie barragan, Karen Blocker, Karyn S. Boykin, Barbara A. Bucey, Kay Cooksey, Julie A. Garrison, Robert Todd Izzo, La'Keisha Queener, Sandra L. Wilson and Amanda Yetter $1,250 Career Advancement Founders Scholarships.
* MCT Federal Credit Union, Gaithersburg, Md., awarded Candace DePass and Nicholas $1,000 scholarships, and Michael Lu a $500 scholarship.
* In St. Louis, the Missouri Credit Union Association donated $10,000 to Biz Kid$ television show, that helps teach children about earning and managing money. The Northeast Missouri Chapter of Credit Unions pledged an additional $300.
* In Fresno, Calif., Pacific Service Credit Union was a corporate sponsor of the Walk to Cure Diabetes, which raised more than $55,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
* Robert Mims and Erwin Ortega of Water and Power Community Credit Union, Montebello, Calif., spoke at the 4th Annual Latino Credit Union Conference about meeting the needs of low-income, first-time Latino borrowers.
* Indiana Credit Union League President John McKenzie wrote a column called Helping Teens With Personal Financial Management for INside INdiana Business.
* Northwest Corporate FCU, Vancouver, Wash., celebrated its 28th annual meeting with a hosted reception.
* Catholic Credit Union, Saginow, Mich., awarded $84,200 in scholarships to 181 area college students who are members of the credit union through its Msgr. Forbes Scholarship Fund.
* Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., participated in the National Youth Savings Challenge during Credit Union Youth Week.
* Northwest Community Credit Union, Springfield, Ore., raised $3,785 during a week-long fundraiser for various animal shelters throughout Oregon.
Staff from Northwest Federal Credit Union, Herndon, Va., and more than 400 students from Herndon High School's senior class participated in a role-playing experience called Reality Store to help students understand finances.
NCUA Vice Chairman Rodney Hood toured Holy Rosary CU and Mazuma CU during a visit to Missouri with Missouri Credit Union Association CEO Rosie Holub.
Charlotte Jonczak and Bill McMillan were crowned king and queen of the senior prom, which was given for residents of the Weirton Geriatric Center by the Weirton-Wellsburg Chapter of Credit Unions in West Virginia.
Tucson Federal Credit Union, Arizona, awarded Donna Guillen, Myriam Hanna and Elyse Fregoso, above, $1,500 scholarships.
In Lowell, Mass., Jeanne D'Arc Credit Union announced that Anne-Marie Bisson, a coordinator for Youth Services and Community Outreach programs, received the President's Award at the credit union's annual employee town meeting.
In Roseland, N.J., the New Jersey Credit Union League presented a plaque to ADP Federal Credit Union to commemorate the credit union's 30th anniversary.
United Teletech Financial employees and board members helped construct six houses for Habitat for humanity as part of a community build in Eatontown, N.J.
Unity One Federal Credit Union, Fort Worth, Texas, treated L.A. Gililland Elementary School students with perfect attendance to a field trip to a bounce house, and an ice cream picnic.
Afena Federal Credit Union, Marion, Ind., held its annual cookout to help raise money for Children's Miracle Network programs at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis.
Travis Credit Union CEO Patsy Van Ouwerkerk was honored with a Woman of Distinction award at an evening reception hosted by The East bay Business Times.
In Montgomery, Ala., MAX4Kids Foundation awarded $1,000 scholarships to: Saji Azerf, Karlin Beck, Keela Cottrell, Russell Dicks, Jamie Hennigan, Ryan Holubik, Cory McInvale, Heather Smith, Leah Stoudemier and Jo Beth Wicks.
Hanscom FCU, Hanscom AFB, Mass., awarded Muhamed Hadzipasic, above, Aaron Hardy, Remi Meehan and Gregory Osborn $1,500 scholarships.