A trial that began Monday in a government lawsuit against American Express will determine whether merchants are allowed to offer incentives to consumers to use a particular credit card. The two sides completely disagree on whether Amex's rules ensure or undermine competition.
Amex, Justice Department Square Off in High-Stakes Court Battle
- Full access to banking's most comprehensive daily report
- Daily, weekly, and topic-based newsletters and alerts
- Award-winning analysis and insight, focused on bankers' key concerns
- Bimonthly industry research reports
- Morning Scan Plus (Premium e-newsletter)
- American Banker mobile app