Credit Unions In Their Communities
* Travis Credit Union, Vacaville, Calif., sponsored the Cal Grant presentation for Solano County High Schools.
* Langley FCU, Newport News, Va., held free financial education seminars.
* Missoula FCU, Montana, was named the Best Financial Institution by readers of the Missoulian newspaper.
* Bay Area Credit Union, Oregon, Ohio, received the statewide Louise Herring Award.
* The CUNA Mutual Group, Washington, D.C., contributed $100,000 to assist the efforts of the National Credit Union Foundation.
* Clearview FCU, Brentwood, Penn., held a free seminar for first-time homebuyers.
* USA Federal Credit Union, Scripps Ranch, Calif., donated $1,000 to the Fisher House at Naval Medical Center.
* Consumers CU, Waukegan, Ill., hosted a free financial seminar on ID theft.
In Baltimore, Md., MECU of Baltimore and SECU Credit Union participated in the dedication of a completed home for Sandtown Habitat for Humanity.
Rep. Zack Space visited Hopewell FCU, Heath, Ohio, to learn about key credit union issues.
Freedom FCU, Bel Air, Md., donated two scoreboards to Edgewood High School for indoor athletic events.
Altura CU, Riverside, Calif., participated in the American Heart Association's Go Red Day to promote heart health awareness.
CEFCU, Peoria, Ill., donated $1,995 to the East Peoria Police Department to help purchase life saving equipment.
Insight Financial CU, Orlando, Fla., awarded $1,000 scholarships to Caitlin Fogarty, Alexander King, Angela Lauren and Lynsey Williamson.
Sterlent CU, Pleasanton, Calif., donated funds to three local charities: Community Assistance for the Retarded & Handicapped, Blankies for Grown Ups and The Children's Hospital & Research Center.
Redwood CU, Santa Rosa, Calif., hosted a mobile blood drive and collected 18 units of blood during the drive.
The National Credit Union Foundation presented a $26,695 check to WOCCU. The funds are earnings from the International Development Fund.
The Education Committee of the Escambia Chapter of the Florida League for Credit Union for Kids presented a $30,000 check to sacred Heart Children's Hospital.
NCUA Vice Chairman Rodney Hood visited Georgia credit unions to learn more about their efforts to serve the underserved.
MidWest Financial CU, Ann Arbor, Mich. helped raise more than $10,000 for Safe House domestic abuse shelter.
EECU Credit Union, Fort Worth, Texas, hosted a golf event and raised $20,000 for the Children's Miracle Network and other local charities.
Rep. Kemberly Zurz visited Kent Credit Union, Kent, Ohio, for an open dialogue session on the credit union industry.
In Washington, D.C., Maine's Congressional delegation praised the role of credit unions in the lives of members they serve throughout Maine.
Memphis Area Teachers' CU, Tennessee, awarded Elementary School Teacher Kerstin Wright a $500 grant to help purchase classroom supplies.
In Washington, D.C., representatives from Indiana credit unions delivered the credit union message to the state's congressmen.
Using E1 Financial CU, Monterey Park, Calif., named Anthony Roman winner of its Home Equity Line of Credit Contest.