Credit Unions In Their Communities
* CEFCU, Peoria, Ill., is offering a new program that makes home ownership more affordable and is designed with the first-time home buyer in mind.
* San Mateo Credit Union, Redwood City, Calif., was voted one of the Bay area's Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times.
* Organizers of the 5th Annual Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction, Portland, Ore., announced they had raised $133,000 to benefit Doernbecher Children's Hospital.
* Corporate America Family Credit Union, Chicago, helped fund winterization of historical Chicago bungalows.
* Workers' Credit Union, Fitchburg, Mass., collected childrens' books at all 11 branches as part of a statewide program that was coordinated by the Massachusetts Credit Union League.
* EECU, Fort Worth, Texas, awarded Kathleen Schniebs, Paige Leis, Matt Williams and Blaine Scharnhorst $5,000 college scholarships.
* In Vancouver, Wash., iQ Credit Union held an Easter Egg Hunt for young members and collected canned food for a local food bank.
* Hershey FCU, Hershey, Penn., presented a $2,000 check to the Alzheimer's Association.
* AmeriCU Credit Union, Rome, N.Y., celebrated National Credit Union Youth Week and Employee Appreciation Week.
* First American Credit Union, Beloit, Wis., encouraged members to educate their children about finance during National Credit Union Youth Week. The credit union also partnered with the National Child Identification Program during Youth Week.
* In Greenville, South Carolina's 86 credit unions are conducting the largest child identification effort in the history of the state. More than 670,000 kits are being provided to students in grades K-12.
* Kemba Credit Union, Indianapolis, Ind., Spokane Federal Credit Union, Spokane, Wash., METRO Credit Union, Warren, Mich., and Philadelphia Federal Credit Union participated in the National Credit Union Youth Week.
* In Portland, Maine, Gov. John Baldacci officially proclaimed the month of April as Financial Literacy for Youth Month.
* Pacific Service Credit Union, Walnut Creek, Calif., donated $5,000 to Elder Financial Protection Network for education, training and community awareness efforts in Northern California.
* Day Air Credit Union, Kettering, Ohio, joined CUNA's $1 billion nationwide mortgage-lending initiative program to assist lower-income borrowers.
In additional news, the credit union received a Marketing brilliance Award from the Ohio Credit Union League.
* The Spokane Chapter of Credit Unions, Washington, awarded Numerica Credit Union for the most overall funds raised and United Health Services CU for the greatest amount of funds raised per member for the Credit Union for Kids Fundraising Campaign.
* Ent Credit Union, Colorado Springs, Colo., participated in the National Credit Union Youth Week and awarded 10 local organizations its Youth Endowment Series program grants.
* North Carolina Housing Finance Agency, Raleigh, N.C., presented State Employees' Credit Union with a plaque recognizing its commitment to helping North carolinians purchase their first home.
* Apple Federal Credit Union, Fairfax, Va., celebrated its 50th anniversary.
* Tri-Co Federal Credit Union, Morris Plains, N.J., received the Quality in Business Award from the Sussex County Chamber of Commerce.
* Tampa area credit unions hosted the 12th Annual Home Buyers Fair and Seminar in Tampa, Fla.
* Fiberglas Federal Credit Union, Heath, Ohio, hosted a free identity theft seminar which included a complimentary dinner.
Advance Financial FCU, East Chicago, Ind., received a Diamond Award from CUNA for its Moe Monkey Kids' Club program.
Oxford Federal Credit Union, Mexico, Maine, received a first place Louise Herring Award at CUNA's Governmental Affairs Conference in Washington.
Volunteers at Bay Area Credit Union, Oregon, Ohio, presented certificates of achievement to four kindergarten classes.
AmeriCU Credit Union, Rome, N.Y., raised $1,832 at the Bowl-for-Kids-Sake event to benefit Big Brothers /Big Sisters.
Cross Valley Federal Credit Union, Wilkes-Barre, Penn., presented a $1,000 check to the Wyoming Valley Habitat for Humanity.
The Weirton-Wellsburg Chapter of Credit Union, Weirton, W.V., presented a check to the Weirton Christian Center.
Telco Plus Credit Union, Longview, Texas, had a really big bunny give out goody bags to children during the Easter holiday.
Space City Credit Union, Houston, Texas, named Maria Orta winner of a Carnival Cruise as part of its checking account promotion.
In Glendora, Calif., America's Christian CU joined with the American Red Cross to host a blood drive that yielded 31 pints of blood.
Eagle One Federal Credit Union, Claymont, Del., co-sponsored the Claymont 5K Race that raised more than $9,000 to benefit the Claymont Community Center.
Marion & Polk Schools Credit Union, Salem, Ore., collected and shredded 13,000 lbs. of documents at a mobile shredding site.
Please submit community news and photos to Judy Hartnett at jhartnett