Credit Unions In Their Communities
* First Service Credit Union, Houston, Texas, participated in Teacher Appreciation Week by visiting the six partner schools and providing them with snacks and $25 gift cards.
* US Federal Credit Union, Burnsville, Minn., collected more than $11,000 and food to donated to the Minnesota FoodShare campaign.
* Educational Community Credit Union, Kalamazoo, Mich., received a Golden Mirror Award from CUES and a Diamond Award from CUNA.
* Jeanne D'Arc Credit Union, Lowell, Mass., awarded Taylor Engdahl, Olivia Gavriel and Taylor Young $425 gift checks as winners in an essay contest for 7th and 8th grade students sponsored by the Massachusetts CU League.
* Palisades FCU, Pearl River, N.Y., awarded $3,900 in scholarships to Sheela Krishnan, Hemal Desai, David Ullman, Zhoyin Yang, Christina Larsen, Deborah Vitanza, Kaitlyn Murphy and Mara Frankel.
In Pasadena, Calif., Wescom CU participated in the national Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day.
E1 Financial Credit Union, Monterey, Calif., hosted a reception for credit union leaders to meet District Assembly Candidate Mike Eng.
Twelve staff members from Hopewell Federal Credit Union, Heath Ohio, participated in the American Heart Association's Heart Walk.
Advance Financial FCU, Highland, Ind., participated in Walk America and raised $1,000 for the March of Dimes.
Altura CU, Riverside, Calif., painted the Sunshine School for mentally and physically challenged students.
Bayer FCU, Goshen, Ind., taught financial planning to 15 teen residents of Bashor Children's Home.
In Madison, Wis., CUES is lending its event-planning expertise to the Drive for Hope golf outing on August 21, to benefit lung cancer research.
Elementary school teacher Matthew Ransom received a $500 grant from Memphis Area Teachers' CU, Tennessee.
In Newport News, Va., Langley FCU has launched a campaign to help members learn how to save money, called Langley Saves.
Workers' CU, Fitchburg, Mass., awarded bicycles to Zack Costa, Isabel Martinez, Danny Men and Emilie Helmer for their winning entries in an anti-bullying poster contest.
Jersey Shore FCU, Northfield, N.J., received a Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award from CUNA.
Sperry Federal Credit Union, Garden City Park, N.Y., hosted an art exhibition for students from Mineola High School.
APGFCU, Aberdeen, Md., donated $2,500 to Rebuilding Together and volunteered with the painting, caulking, landscaping and repairing of a local family's home.
In Marion, Ind., Mayor Wayne Seybold attended Afena FCU's home town picnic for members and their neighbors in the community.
In Las Vegas, Doug and Chris Wirt were winners of Nevada FCU's Boulder Lake Mead branch's open house $500 Visa Gift Card promotion.