Duo Charged In $380,000 CU Heist

FLINT, Mich. – Two men, including a prison parolee, were charged this week with an armed robbery spree last year that culminated in the $380,000 heist at Dort FCU, the biggest local bank robbery here in years.

Processing Content

Demond Wilson, 38, was still on parole from assault and weapons convictions when he and an alleged accomplice embarked on their robbery spree, which included the May 30 credit union hold-up, according to prosecutors. Wilson and the accomplice, identified as Rodney Burse, allegedly entered the credit union around 10 a.m. with guns drawn and wearing gloves and face coverings.

One of the suspects jumped the teller counter and proceeded to the cash vault where the branch manager and an assistant were counting a recent cash delivery.  The suspect forced the credit union employees to put numerous bundles of money into a pillowcase, prosecutors said.

The other suspect remained in the credit union lobby with his gun drawn.

Both men then fled the scene in a vehicle.

Wilson was previously convicted of multiple assault and weapons charges. He was paroled from prison Aug. 5, 2011, and was still on parole at the time of the robberies. 

Authorities say the robberies began Nov. 14, 2011, at the Citizens Bank in Flint. A witness said Burse was carrying a duffel bag and a silver handgun while Wilson carried a short-barreled shotgun when they entered the bank.  The two men ordered everyone onto the floor and demanded money before making off with $16,000.

A black mask, gloves and short-barrel shotgun were found in the getaway car. A DNA test of the mask connected authorities to Wilson. 

Authorities say the two were also responsible for the April 30 hold-up at Citizens Bank when robbers made off with $18,000.


For reprint and licensing requests for this article, click here.
MORE FROM AMERICAN BANKER
Load More