Numerous Relief Efforts Offered, Donations Made
Here's a look at what some of the various relief efforts:
* Navy FCU, Vienna, Va., which has numerous members in San Diego, is offering qualified members a loan for up to $15,000 at 6% APR, with terms to five years, no payment due for 90 days, and no prepayment penalty. Navy FCU also said it will offer free express delivery of replacement checks, ATM, debit and credit cards.
* The Washington Credit Union Foundation donated $5,000 to the California Wildfires Fund established by the National CU Foundation.
* The CCUL established a disaster relief fund to assist staff, volunteers and members of credit unions who are victims of the fires. Checks should be made payable to the "California Credit Union League Disaster Relief Fund," and sent care of WesCorp at: 924 Overland Court, San Dimas, CA 91773-1750. Leagues, foundations and CUs may wire money to that account. The routing number is 122041219, the account number is 700001723. The California league is offering renewable grants of up to $1,000 for members to purchase food, shelter and clothing. Applications for the grants are available on the league's Web site (www.ccul.org). The league is asking CUs to download the grant applications and make them available to employees, volunteers and members who need assistance.
* The National CU Foundation is accepting tax-deductible contributions to the "2003 California Wildfires Fund" at P.O. Box 78880, Milwaukee, WI 53278-0880. Instructions for wire transfers are available at the foundation's Web site (www.ncuf.coop).
* In Mounds View, Minn., Liberty Enterprises has donated $10,000 to the new California Wildfires Fund.. Liberty is a corporate sponsor of the NCUF, Fand its president, Stan Hollen, came to the company from The Golden 1 Credit Union in Sacramento.
* In Dallas, the Texas Credit Union Foundation (TCUF) has established a California Disaster Relief Fund. The TCUF's Grants Committee has already approved $1,000 for a designated California Disaster Relief fund. Checks or money orders should made payable to: Texas Credit union Foundation, Attention Elaine Laroa, TCUF Executive Director, 4455 LBJ Freeway, Suite 1000, Farmers Branch, Texas 75244.