11. Julie Monaco
Head of North American Global Transaction Services, Citigroup
• Leads a 6,000-member team handling needs of more than 8,000 North American-based clients
• Made Citi the leading cash-management provider to the U.S. government, handling 90% of cross-border payments and managing the industry’s largest commercial card program by volume for the U.S. Department of Defense; expanded public sector practice into state and local governments in 2010
• Assigned as Chief Client Officer for Microsoft, as part of Citi initiative to grow revenue with top 100 institutional clients
"Use new technology and social media tools, such as discussion forums and integrated news and client data feeds, to bring to light new ideas about how to deepen global client relationships and discover new opportunities."
12. Shelaghmichael Brown
Director, BBVA Compass
• Oversaw customer service improvements and technology upgrades that have made BBVA Compass a standard-bearer in retail banking
• Worked with marketing team to make BBVA Compass "the bank of sports," with sponsorships in college football, the NBA and, through parent company BBVA, Spain’s premier soccer league, La Liga
• Led bank’s retail banking division until appointed to BBVA Compass board in June
"Successful leaders convey clear messages to all stakeholders—employees, investors and the public—about an organization’s strategy and culture."
13. Jane Fraser
Head of Citi Private Bank, Citigroup
• Drove a one-third increase in assets under management over a 12-month period
• Rolled out to private wealth clients a lineup of products and services traditionally offered to institutional clients
• Was global head of strategy for Citi and ran a divestiture program that raised $9 billion of capital in 2008
"Step out of your comfort zone even if it means learning the hard way and take responsibility for advancing your own career. Get international experience because it will open your mind to new styles, approaches and opportunities."
14. Anne Finucane
Global Strategy and Marketing Officer, Bank of America
• Directed effort to engage policymakers in Washington, London and Brussels on new regulations for the financial services industry
• Developed $150 million marketing campaign and oversaw brand and reputation management initiative
• Maintained Bank of America’s leadership in community development, with firm making $168 billion of loans and investments in 2010
"Integrate marketing with public policy and social responsibility, and champion your company’s power to facilitate positive change."
15. Mary Walworth Navarro
Senior EVP and Director of Retail and Business Banking, Huntington Bancshares
• Responsible for 42% of annual net income
• Led a $70 million capital investment to refurbish bank’s six-state branch network
• Introduced 24-hour grace period for overdrafts, recognized as by the OCC as a best practice and credited with retaining customers
• Grew small-business checking relationships by 5% in a year and boosted bank’s 2010 ranking among SBA lenders
"Commit to managing people differently, based on their style, strengths and weaknesses. It’s important to be flexible and adapt your own style to your employees to get the best out of them."