1. $247 billion-asset U.S. Bancorp acquired two failed California thrifts, $12.8 billion-asset Downey Financial Corp. and $3.7 billion asset PFF Bancorp Inc., adding $12 billion in deposits.
2. Houston-based Prosperity Bank, which has $6.8 billion in assets, bought $3.7 billion in deposits of failed Texas bank, Franklin Bank, which had less than $500 million in total assets.
3. Rockland, MA-based Independent Bank Corp., which has $3.5 billion in assets, is buying $1-billion-asset Benjamin Franklin Bancorp for $125 million. BFB is over 135 years old.
4. $3.4 billion-asset PlainsCapital Corp. will acquire $617 million-asset First Southwest Holdings Inc. in an all-stock deal for an undisclosed amount. First Southwest has 22 offices.
5. Pennsylvania banks Tower Bancorp Inc. and Graystone Financial Corp., which has $616 million in assets, are merging. Combined, the new bank will have $1.2 billion in total assets.