In our intrepid search for news you can use, we came across a useful
Inside are listed, alphabetically by name, all 13,705 domestic financial
The list starkly illustrates one of the enigmas of the industry: The
A staggering 1,113 bank names start with those three words. Another 362
Altogether, more than 2,200 financial institutions, 16% of the total,
"Second" barely made a showing. Only seven financial institutions choseto put that word in their names.
Bill Brandon, chief executive of the First National Bank of Phillips
"We changed our name from Phillips National Bank in the early 1970s," he
* * *
The bankers associations of California, Washington, and Texas ponied up
The trade groups put up the award money from a fund contributed to by
The tip led to the capture in Washington of Johnny Madison Williams Jr.,
* * *
The Community Bankers of Kentucky were privy to various expert opinions
The top 10 signs that you are not dealing with a community bank:
10. To determine your officer's name you must enter your name into the
9. Your bank's name is now Nations or Citi something.
8. The bank has more off-balance sheet than on-balance sheet
7. The banker knows that Windows is an operating system and not just
6. The bank's reports are rounded to the nearest billion dollars.
5. No dividends this year because of derivative losses.
4. Your bank is now accepting foreign deposits.
3. Your branch manager's name plate uses stick-on letters.
2. The bank CEO travels in a limo.
1. Four words - "Too big to fail."
Compiled by Terrence O'Hara and Christopher Rhoads