HSBC Merchant Services, a U.K. unit of Global Payments Inc. of Atlanta, said it has been chosen as the preferred processor for the BHF-BSSA Group Trade Association, which comprises 7,000 small and midsize businesses.

The trade association was formed by the British Hardware Federation and the British Shops and Stores Association, and HSBC Merchant Services said it already served the roughly 3,000 BSSA members.

In addition to processing, HSBC Merchant Services also is to supply the group with payment terminals and other related products.

"With their track record of quality service to the old BSSA, HSBC Merchant Services was the obvious choice to appoint as our preferred supplier," Alan Hawkins, the chief executive officer of the BHF-BSSA group, said in a press release issued Dec. 22.

Global Payments bought a 51% stake in HSBC Merchant Services from HSBC Holdings PLC in June 2008 and bought the remaining 49% in June 2009.

HSBC Holdings said it would continue through 2019 to refer merchants to HSBC Merchant Services, which serves brick-and-mortar merchants in the United Kingdom and online merchants worldwide.