There's a criminal law intended to protect banks and hence the deposit insurance fund. The same law aims to punish borrowers who lie in order to forestall or evade collections.
Column: Spread the Word: Lying to Banks Is Illegal
- Full access to banking's most comprehensive daily report
- Daily, weekly, and topic-based newsletters and alerts
- Award-winning analysis and insight, focused on bankers' key concerns
- Bimonthly industry research reports
- Morning Scan Plus (Premium e-newsletter)
- American Banker mobile app
This feature displays payments industry news and analysis from American Banker sibling brand PaymentsSource. Registration is required; for more information contact customer service.