Discover President Roger Hochschild, testifying at a government antitrust trial of American Express in federal court in Brooklyn, N.Y., said his company tried to offer low interchange rates in the late 1990s and then gave up because bigger, higher-cost rivals had too much market power.
'Vicious Circle' in Credit Card Fees Hurts Merchants: Discover Exec
- Full access to banking's most comprehensive daily report
- Daily, weekly, and topic-based newsletters and alerts
- Award-winning analysis and insight, focused on bankers' key concerns
- Bimonthly industry research reports (including archive)
- Morning Scan Plus e‑newsletter
- Full access to 2016: The Candidates, the Issues