Bill Strunk, chairman of Strunk & Associates, said credit unions significantly underestimate the size of the overdraft protection- he prefers "overdraft privilege"-market.
Among the statistics cited by Strunk:
* During 300, consumers wrote more than 400-million NSF items.
* During 2000, consumers paid more than $40 billion in NSF-related fees.
* In California, there are more payday lenders than McDonalds and Burger Kings combined.
* There are 13,000 pawnshops in the U.S.
* The estimated 8,000 rent-to-own stores grossed $4.7 billion.