Credit Unions In Their Communities
* MECU of Baltimore, received the Mayor's Business Recognition Award for its commitment to the community.
* CEFCU, Peoria, Ill., sponsored Common Place's application for funding from the Affordable Housing Program to help rehabilitate 15 owner-occupied homes.
* Community Financial, Plymouth, Mich., presented checks to local school programs, including Plymouth-Canton Community Schools, the Northville Educational Foundation General Fund and the Novi Education Foundation Teacher Grant program.
* Taleris Credit Union, Brooklyn Heights, Ohio, collected 20 boxes of food for the City Mission and the Yuletide Hunger Program.
* Gateway Metro Credit Union, St. Louis, celebrated its 70th anniversary with food and music.
* Advantage FCU, Yorktown, Va., named Susan Breedlove winner of its Live Large promotion which included no rent, car payments, and help paying for gas or groceries for a year.
* State Employees' CU, Raleigh, N.C., has helped reach 1,200 high school students with financial literacy through NEFE.
* Chartway FCU, Virginia Beach, Va., received honorable mention in the Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award.
* The Credit Union Association of New Mexico, Albuquerque, donated more than $20,000 to the University of New Mexico Children's Hospital.
* Columbia CU, Vancouver, Wash., named Judy Halsted winner of a Ford Hybrid SUV as a result of its year-long campaign giveaway.
* Alliance CU, San Jose, Calif., donated $2,000 to hurricane relief efforts.
* California Coast CU, San Diego, received the Union-Tribune Corporate Leadership Award.
In Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., The Northern California Business Unit of CU Direct Corporation held its annual golf tournament and raised $8,437 for Shriners Children Hospital.
Pacific Service CU, Walnut Creek, Calif., donated more than $20,000 to the Salvation Army Holiday Food Basket program to benefit low-income families.
In Fitchburg, Mass., Workers' CU Chairman Jack Ford conducted a concert with the Thayer Symphony.
Insight Financial CU, Orlando, Fla., collected soda-pop tabs to recycle for the benefit of the Ronald McDonald House.
Phoenix Children's Hospital received a $17,000 check from Credit Union West as part of fundraising efforts for the Children's Miracle Network.
United SA Community FCU, San Antonio, Texas, donated funds to purchase an SRA Reading Lab for the fifth grade students at Locke Hill Elementary School.
Westerly Community CU, Westerly, R.I., awarded David Furcolo the winner of WCCU Will Pay Your Heating Bills for the Year contest.
From left, Alabama State Attorney Troy King thanks Army Aviation Center FCU CEO Jim Mitchell for his efforts in combating ID theft.
North Jersey FCU, Totowa, N.J., received the Alexander S. Kosobuki Promotion Award and the Dora Maxwell Award.
Redwood CU, Santa Rosa, Calif., raised more than $47,000 for the United Way.
In Streator, Ill., Streator Onized Credit Union raised $3,500 for the Cops for Kids Program.
The Tallahassee Chapter of Florida CUs collected $1,700 for credit union employees in Louisiana and Mississippi affected by Hurricane Katrina.
American Heritage FCU, Philadelphia, participated in the Dragon Boat Festival and raised $2,000 for the Kids-N-Hope Foundation.
St. Louis Postal CU, St. Louis, helped restore the playground at Kennerly Elementary School, which was destroyed by a fire.
Advance Financial FCU, East Chicago, Ill., donated funds to the Police Department's child safety, drug awareness and crime prevention programs.
South Division CU, Evergreen Park, Ill., invited members to link hands to support credit unions in the gulf coast that were affected by the hurricanes.
In Westbrook, Maine, Clarke American presented a $9,000 check to the Maine Credit Union League's Campaign for Ending Hunger.