Depositors May Accept 90% Coverage

Suppose the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. asked depositors to share the risk of bank failures. More specifically, suppose the FDIC offered to insure only 90% of bank deposits, leaving 10% of everyone's balances exposed. Would depositors agree? Would Congress dare ask them?

Subscribe Now

Access to authoritative analysis and perspective and our data-driven report series.

14-Day Free Trial

No credit card required. Complete access to articles, breaking news and industry data.