On the heels of Target's reveal Friday that a new group of 70 million customers was affected by its recent data breach — on top of the 40 million customers already acknowledged to be victims — New York State Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman released a statement further condemning Target and expressing more steadfast action and support for affected consumers.
"The news that Target has discovered a breach involving 70 million customers is deeply troubling," Schneiderman said in the statement. "Consumers in New York and around the country expect and deserve companies that protect their personal information when they shop on their websites and in their stores. That is why my office is participating in a national investigation into this breach, why I pressed Target to provide free credit monitoring for the 40 million Target customers identified last month, and why I insist it extends the same service to every new victim."
Also Friday,Target (TGT) lowered its U.S. unit's fourth-quarter forecast in the wake of its announcement that more people and information was taken than initially thought.
In Target's disclosure today, the retailer said names, home addresses, and email addresses of 70 million customers were all stolen in the security breach, which occurred from Nov. 27 to Dec. 15. Earlier, the company said the credit and debit card data of 40 million customers had been compromised in the breach.