Seven Best Practices To Support Training
Consultant Jeffrey Berk offered these seven best practices to support training measurement:
1. Understand the strategic role of training in supporting business drivers.
2. Work with training to map out the key performance indicators that the management wants from training.
3. Incorporate suggested training measurements into the corporate performance scorecard.
4. Collect training measurement data on all training, tying the data back to the business drivers that the training is supposed to support.
5. Leverage automation and technology tools to make the process less burdensome and less costly.
6. Be supportive of the training department (don't try to compare a training measurement directly to a finance measurement-the soft versus hard factors may be inappropriate comparisons)
7. Think competitive advantage. Business drivers that can incrementally improve provide advantage, training is a tool to do this. Measure to optimize that tool.