1. J.P. Morgan Chase reached an agreement to fully purchase UK joint venture partner Cazenove Group in a $1.68 billion deal. JPMorgan and the brokerage company had combined UK investment services in 2004.
2. Citigroup sold its controlling stake in Japanese telemarketing firm Bellysystem24 to Bain Capital for $1.04 billion, and sold the North American franchise of Diners Club to BMO Financial Group for $1 billion.
3. Banco Santander unit Santander Consumer USA paid $904 million to acquire HSBC Holdings' auto loan servicing and specialty finance arm. The deal includes $1 billion in car loan receivables.
4. People's United Financial in Bridgeport, Conn., agreed to purchase construction and transport equipment finance specialist Financial Federal Corp. in New York for $738.1 million in stock and cash.
5. Mid-market specialty finance firm Ares Capital announced plans to acquire leveraged-buyout lender Allied Capital for $623.3 million. The all-stock deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2010.