First Banks to Post Loss Nearing $40M

Battered by large losses on subprime mortgage and construction loans, First Banks Inc. in St. Louis expects to report a loss of nearly $40 million when it announces second-quarter earnings next week.

Processing Content

The privately held $10.5 billion-asset company also said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing last week that it lost $4.9 million in the first quarter. It had delayed reporting the results after uncovering accounting errors.

First Banks will release detailed second-quarter earnings Aug. 13. In preliminary results released last week, it said its loan-loss provision grew 83% from the first quarter, to $84.1 million.

Of the $250 million of nonperforming assets it reported for the first quarter, subprime mortgages accounted for $11 million. Real estate loans and development loans in Northern California and Florida accounted for nearly $160 million.

First Banks also announced last week that the Dierberg family, its primary owner, had put up $100 million to establish a workout subsidiary for its troubled loans. The total is roughly $60 million more than the family had originally pledged when First Banks announced plans in May to create the workout subsidiary.


For reprint and licensing requests for this article, click here.
Community banking
MORE FROM AMERICAN BANKER
Load More