Most Powerful Women in Banking | Top Teams: Bank of the West
As part of American Banker's Most Powerful Women in Banking and Finance program, we have selected five “Top Teams” for 2020. Bank of the West is one of the team honorees.
In the Top Teams category, each bank is evaluated based on:
- The presence and influence of women in the senior ranks
- The performance of women-led business units
- Demonstrated commitment to and progress toward fostering diversity (and specifically female participation) in senior leadership and key roles with P&L responsibility
- Improvements shown in the representation of women in the pipeline
- Programs, policies and practices that are effective in fostering success in the areas above
Bank of the West
Headquarters: San Francisco, Calif.
Assets: $100 billion
Female representation among corporate officers: 31%*
Female representation on operating committee: 34%
*As of 2017 (updated percentage not provided)
One of the parity issues in banking is the lack of women in positions with profit-and-loss responsibility. As chief executive of Bank of the West, Nandita Bakhshi is addressing this by rethinking what her leadership team looks like and how its members get there. Bakhshi said she recognizes men are three times more likely than women to receive career information about P&L jobs. So with that in mind, she has made it a priority to identify women with the expertise and ability to advance who may not have had an opportunity to demonstrate that and create pathways for them to do so.
Selected executive highlights: