Most Powerful Women in Banking | Top Teams: Howard Bancorp
As part of American Banker's Most Powerful Women in Banking and Finance program, we have selected five “Top Teams” for 2020. Howard Bancorp is one of the team honorees.
In the Top Teams category, each bank is evaluated based on:
- The presence and influence of women in the senior ranks
- The performance of women-led business units
- Demonstrated commitment to and progress toward fostering diversity (and specifically female participation) in senior leadership and key roles with P&L responsibility
- Improvements shown in the representation of women in the pipeline
- Programs, policies and practices that are effective in fostering success in the areas above
Headquarters: Baltimore, Md.
Assets: $2.46 billion
Female representation among corporate officers: 13%
Female representation on operating committee: 10%
The Women in Leadership program at Howard Bancorp aims to help female employees develop the skills and confidence needed to advance. Howard credits the program with helping the company make progress each year on improving diversity in management roles. Of its 250 employees, 82 of them are women in leadership positions, meaning they hold some level of management responsibility, either over functional areas or individuals, and have a title of assistant vice president or above, said Erica Starr, Howard's director of marketing.
Selected executive highlights: