Most Powerful Women in Banking | Top Teams: U.S. Bancorp
As part of American Banker's Most Powerful Women in Banking and Finance program, we have selected five “Top Teams” for 2020. U.S. Bancorp is one of the team honorees.
In the Top Teams category, each bank is evaluated based on:
- The presence and influence of women in the senior ranks
- The performance of women-led business units
- Demonstrated commitment to and progress toward fostering diversity (and specifically female participation) in senior leadership and key roles with P&L responsibility
- Improvements shown in the representation of women in the pipeline
- Programs, policies and practices that are effective in fostering success in the areas above
Assets: $536 billion
Female representation among corporate officers: 48%
Female representation on operating committee: 36%
In March 2019, U.S. Bancorp undertook an initiative to increase the number of women in senior leadership by addressing obstacles to career advancement that female employees told the company they face. As part of the effort, it expanded sponsorship opportunities with a focus on women and professionals of color.
Several women's sponsorship groups across the company pair high-potential women with leaders one or two levels above them, and one program saw a 54% promotion rate among participants within 12 months.
A revamped talent review process also provides focused support for senior-level women, increased visibility to the executive team, and opportunities for high-visibility assignments and promotions.
Selected executive highlights: